[P1] Headphone jack: Pro speakers?

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Thu Jan 1 04:19:02 PST 2004

>> .I just got my iBook today, and I noticed the same ring around the
>> headphone jack as there was on the first gen iPod...
>>
>> Is this for Apple's pro speakers?

It's because it is the same exact connector as the iPod, 1st and 2nd
gen. the 2nd gen has a slight difference in design but it is the same
connector. As a matter of fact, I routinely use the ipod earbuds to
listen to my ibook when I am using the DVD player for a movie. I have
even used the earbuds with the internal mic for ichat av quite
successfully when I misplace my regular headset. I even use the headset
from my cordless land phone for ichat.

The pro speakers are a unique type of connector that contains a means
to power the speakers as a substitute for an amplifier and that is why
they are incompatible with all but a very select set of Macs. You can
get the soundsticks which are usb connectors and use those with all
macs but the pro speakers are only compatible with the pmacs that start
with the digital audio G4. I don't remember for sure if they can be
used after the Quicksilvers.

In most respects if you can use a usb or other type of connector, I
suggest avoiding the pro speakers unless you get the ifire extension.
The speakers are some of the best I have heard especially for the price
and size. However, the cable is usually too short if you have the tower
on the floor and causes a bend in the very small and delicate tip. The
quicksilver towers also have another problem associated with these
speakers. The connector is on the part of the tower that is connected
to the side door that drops down when opened. If you forget to unplug
the speakers before dropping the door, you will put a severe bend in
the tip. If you forget more than a few times, you will still be able to
straigthen it enough to work but the next time you forget, it breaks
inside the connection and you lose your audio output until you get the
tip removed.

One other point on these speakers, they ship with a cover over the
floating diaphragm. Since it is clear and very esthetically blended
into the design of the speakers, most people think it is an integral
part of the speaker and leave it in place but according to HK, the mfg,
for best sound quality, the cover should come off when in use and go
back on as protection when not in use.

Hope 2004 is the best ever for everyone.

There are people who have money and people who are rich.
--Coco Chanel