iBook Monitor Spanning

Tom Burke tom_burke at mac.com
Mon Jan 5 00:17:01 PST 2004

On Monday, January 5, 2004, at 08:00  am, iBook List wrote:

> From: "Chris Weiss" <cweiss at stickyc.com>
> Subject: Re: [P1] Can dual USB 500 mhz iBook be connected to 2nd screen
>  ?
> Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 22:50:14 -0800
>
> The hack is here: http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html
>
> Note that I've not actually tried this myself and wash my hands of any
> responsibilities should anyone reading this fry their system following
> those
> instructions.

Be very careful!

Your 500Mhz iBook ought to be able to do video mirroring; there is a
mini-VGA port, and you can hook this up to a VGA monitor via a
miniVGA-to-VGA adapter (which again should have been with the iBook)
and get video mirroring.

But the OF hack does *not* work, it seems, on any ATI Rage-equipped
iBook; that includes all 500Mhz, all 600Mhz and even some 700Mhz ones
(based on the data in MacTracker). You need an ATI Radeon-equipped
iBook for the hack to work.

In fact, there are accounts on XLR8Yourmac.com of people who tried to
implement the hack on Rage-equipped machines ending up with a totally
non-responding iBook. There are some instructions regarding fixing this
problem, but you'd probably rather not have to do it.

So for an ATI-Rage equipped iBook, the answer is that external video
mirroring is all that's possible.

Tom Burke