[P1] Video out on Clamshell disabled

David Crump davecrump at mac.com
Tue Jan 6 22:25:54 PST 2004

I just thought I'd let the community know the solution to the clamshell
video out problem:
   After further testing, I found that if I rebooted the computer with
the video out cable plugged in, the display prefs did give me the NTSC
option and video out did work.  However if the computer is booted
without the cable plugged in, the video out will not work.  I called
Apple to find out if this is a known issue.  Apparently it is "normal".
  The tech I spoke to said that that port is NOT hot pluggable, and it
shouldn't have worked the way that it did in the past.  Supposedly the
10.2.8 update "fixed" this, and now it won't be as hard on the
hardware.  He said I should be shutting the iBook off to plug in that
cable... Whatever.  Anyhow, I'm happy as long as I can get it to work.
Rebooting is a pain because it takes so long on this iBook, but I found
that all I have to do is put it to sleep and plug the cable in.  When
it wakes up, I have video out capability.  Problem solved (kind of).
It doesn't work the way it used to, but It still works.
Dave.