logic board/video problem

Paul Bernhardt pbern10 at xmission.com
Wed Jan 7 14:08:34 PST 2004

I need a rundown on all this because I think I've got it. My symptoms
are screen suddenly going to half display, then completely blank.
flickering on doing that occasionally. Reboot hanging, the spinner
stopping, reboot failing to launch completely to desktop. In the middle
of writing an email a "your Macintosh needs to restart, press and hold
the on/off button until it shuts down, and press again to restart"
error box (of unusual characteristic compared to standard dialog boxes,
dark grey translucent). Right now it is working (I'm typing on it).

Is this the infamous video cable/logic board problem appearing? If so,
if I get it repaired quickly does it increase the chances that only the
cables need to be fixed and the  logic board itself will be spared? If
I get it repaired quickly, does it increase my chances that I won't
need to do another fix later (I read about repeated logic board
replacements being needed.

Thanks for the input!

Paul