[P1] 800 MB cd

Angus Wallace Angus.Wallace at flinders.edu.au
Tue Jan 13 15:12:43 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 20:18, Melanie Stroud wrote:
> The movie file is about 690 MB which I understand is too large
> for the 700 MB, but would like to figure

I can't say for sure (on a mac), but my understanding is that it is
generally possible to 'overburn' a cd. This amounts to putting more data
on it than its listed capacity. Obviously, this cannot be guaranteed to
work for any given cd, but in my experience one can generally fit 10 -
15mb extra with no problems.

Of course, this depends on your cd burner, and I've read that this
process can theoretically damage the burner itself (though I've never
heard of this happening).

If I were you, I'd be finding software that will allow you to fit the
movie file on a 700mb cd, because that's clearly why the file was made
that size. 800mb cds are expensive and, from what I've heard,
unreliable.

I suggest trying an opensource (generally free) cd burning program. Have
a look at Fink (a utility to allow some Linux software to be installed
on MacOSX).

Hope this helps.

-Angus