[P1] shutdown when opening lid

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Tue Jan 20 14:40:53 PST 2004

I believe that the other replies might be missing the point...that your
ibook IS on when you open it the first inch, but then it's off.

This is a classic symptom of a common problem on the G3 iBook Dual USB
(Ice Books).  The video cable is being damaged by the hinge.  If this
is the case in your computer, the computer is not actually off...just
the screen goes blank.  You MIGHT be able to still see the screen
contents with the right lighting, in that case. Another thing you could
do would be to close the 'book again, and see if it goes back to sleep
(pulsating light indicating sleep), or you could hit the power button,
which would bring up the "really shut down...?" dialog, and then hit
?enter or maybe it's the power button again, which would tell the
machine to shutdown.

Or I could just be wrong :-)

If those happen, you can send it back to Apple for repair.