[P1] iBook Classic

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Thu Jan 29 23:58:53 PST 2004

> but if you try to load a RAM and CPU hungry application (I
> ran Photoshop 7 on the aforementionned clamshell), you'll see some
> impact on screen redraws, windows opening and that sort of thing.

That was not a problem with the computer and os X. That was a problem
with the meager amt of VRAM in the clamshell. When the first version of
10.0 came out, I loaded it AND os 9 on my blueberry 300 using 160 MB of
RAM and was able to run it using netscape, or IE plus X mail,  and
address book with no problems. I don't remember if I tried to run
Photoshop 4 on it which was the highest version i had then or not.

When I use a web browser, I usually have many pages open simultaneously
and I didn't have any more problems with it than I did with os 9. I
recently got 256 mb RAM for it and before I install that, I will
install jaguar and os 9 on it and see what happens, then compare it
with the 256 and report back. It may take a while, some other things
have more priority right now.

The bottom line is your expectations and needs will be more influential
in your success than the hardware. If you plan to run the latest
versions of software that require lots of VRAM and fast refresh rates,
you will be unhappy. If your goal is to have a chance to play with all
the neat new stuff in X and you are running either "normal" X native
apps or older versions of resource demanding apps, you should be happy.

Important hints to make your experiment happier:

1. RAM lots and lots of RAM to substitute for the hardware deficits.
The RAM you buy for it will also transfer to the G3 dual ibooks so it
is not a lost investment. If you get more than 160 mbs and you REALLY
SHOULD, (get the 512 if you are going to keep the ibook even if you go
back to 9 you will still love the RAM) apply the firmware update first,
then install the new RAM. If you don't, the extra RAM will not be seen
by the ibook

2. ALWAYS run your older software using classic from X. NEVER boot from
9 to run the older stuff. There is very little old stuff that will
still run using classic (as an experiment, I ran AppleWorks 2.1,
Macpaint, MacWrite and a few other oldies on my dual ibook booted from
jaguar. I even ran a app that was written to be run on os 6). Booting
from 9 will cause you system grief. XLR8YOURMAC and Mac OS X hints have
some tips for slimming down the system 9 folder to help save drive
space.

3. Spiffy new action games will be out of your league with the meager
VRAM and cpu speed. But you will be able to use it for some of the less
intense strategy games for X