Upgrading Linksys Router

Bob Gir. bobgir at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 2 03:42:59 PDT 2004

    I got a used Linksys BEFSR41 Router, v.3; firmware version 1.04.8 from a
friend.

    On VersionTracker, at...

    ...I just found this:

**************
Product Description:
  Select Linksys BEFSR41 v3 Version:  1.05.00

What's new in this version:

Fixed multicast issue broadcast on all ports
Fixed DHCP vulnerability
Fixed inappropriate ARP response from the router
Fixed fragmented data arriving to destination in the  wrong
            order. This affected IPSec VPN users
Modified web user interface for ease of use

Editor's Notes:
 Use your browser to upload the 'code.bin' file from your Linksys setup
page: http://192.168.1.1/Upgrade.htm
 If that doesn't work for you then you can use MacTFTP to install the
firmware update. For step-by-step installation instructions using MacTFTP,
read here:
http://www.mactechnologies.com/pages/tftpinst.html#linksys

    The Linksys of course isn't a Mac product, they don't offer Mac support,
and it isn't terribly intuitive what I need to do here nor how to do it.

    Anyone out there using a similar Linksys router care to offer guidance
on how to go about upgrading the firmware.

    As always, many thanks,
    bob
   =20