hot spots in u.s.

Dave Wyman davewyman at imountainman.com
Mon Jul 26 00:26:38 PDT 2004

On Jul 26, 2004, at 12:16 AM, iBook List wrote:

> I ain't no lawyer nor a judge so with a grain of salt, I believe the
> concept is that of entering someone's computer without their
> permission.

If you're taping into a wireless network with your iBook, you are not
entering someone else's computer. You are picking up the wireless
signal transmitted from a base station in someone's home or business.
There's nothing illegal about this. It's as if your neighbor
over-watered her/his front lawn and you came along and sucked up some
water flowing over the sidewalk and in the gutter. It's not your water
when it's on your neighbor's property, but once it leaks out, it's free
for the taking. Same with wireless signals. If they are not protected
by the user, then they are yours to use.

Recently I flew out of LAX on Continental. I picked up the airline's
wireless signal from their President's Club while sitting next to my
gate. Of course, many businesses charge you if you wish to use their
wireless network (such as Starbucks and Borders bookstores).

Dave
--
http://www.davewyman.com
http://www.idrivebackroads.com (Guidebook to Northern California)

This mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are
to be considered flaws or defects.