[P1] iBook electrical shock

Reid Conti reid at conti.net
Sun Jun 6 16:41:51 PDT 2004

Odd... as I'm pretty sure the "four metal discs" are actually plastic.

I could be wrong, but when I took mine apart to change the hard disk, I
even managed to break one of them by putting the screw in too tightly.
You can check it out easily though.  Pop the rubber feet off by prying
between the rubber and the metal disk with a little screwdriver.  There
will be a little screw under the rubber foot that you can unscrew, and
pull the metal-looking disc out.  Check it out to see if it's plastic
or really metal.  If you're being shocked by plastic, that would be
*really* strange.  If it's metal, that would make sense, as the metal
screw touches the disk and then goes into the computer...

Be careful when putting them back in, the reason I cracked one was
because I didn't realize there is exactly *one* orientation they have
to go in.  Easy to do if you know, easy to screw up if you don't.

- reid