Prolonging Battery Life

Bob Gir. bobgir at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 22 12:11:29 PDT 2004

> Yes as long as you take the battery out when not charging it or when you are
> able to just run on mains power, but remember to only have about 40 - 50
> percent charge in the battery before taking it out and 'storing' it between
> battery usage, this keep enough power in it to not cause physical problems
> for the batteries abilities (less than 40 percent is a problem for periods
> over a month or so storage without charging) (more than 50 percent is going
> to accelerate the aging process internally from chemical exchanges) and also
> keeps the battery from aging quickly as the level of charge and 'corrosion'
> will be minimal (compared with fully loaded).

    VERY interesting stuff, that.  I have never heard of pulling it when it
is in the 40~50% charge range. I had never even thought of using it plugged
in w/o a battery in it.

    Please confirm that I have this right.  Discharge the battery down to
the 40~50% level, remove the battery and when you use the iBook, do so by
plugging it into the charger. (No threat of shock here from the empty
battery bay???)

    Finally, how long would you recommend before popping the battery in and
charging it back to 100% then down to the 40~50% level and unplugging it
again?

> Do *not* keep the battery installed with the laptop plugged in continuously
> as this will decrease life span significantly (actually this is probably the
> quickest way to decrease the life span). It will start a very short cycle of
> charging and discharging and eventually you will only have 10-15 min life on
> the battery.

    OK.  Understand, and thanks for the input.

    bob