[P1] PC Connection Query

Jim Shimozawa kotonk2 at mac.com
Wed Jun 23 16:14:23 PDT 2004

On Jun 23, 2004, at 9:43 AM, patdart wrote:

> My son's wife is here and has always been able to connect to my
> wireless without problems before, but cannot seem to do so since I
> changed to the Airport Extreme.  She's running Windows XP.  Can anyone
> tell me how to do it?  I'm wondering if she needs to hook directly to
> the modem for settings as Macs do.

Last week, I had to configure my kids PCs running XP to join my AirPort
(connected to my cable modem)
  that i set up for my iBook 700 and G4 tower.
My AirPort is plain and not Extreme. Here is what I had to do. This may
or may not apply to you.

SHORT VERSION:
I had to run the AirPort Admin Utility to fetch the hex equivalent of
my password.
Then I had to enter this value in the XP Network Connection control
panel.

LONG VERSION:
Your HD>Application>Utilities>AirPort Admin Utility.
Double click your network, enter password.
Double click the password (lock) icon on top.
You should see the hex equivalent password (WEP key).
Write this down.
Turn on PC.
Network Connections>LAN or High Speed Internet>Properties>
Wireless Networks>Properties (under Preferred networks)
Enter the hex value in the 'Network Key' box. Key format should be
'Hex digits'.

  Hope this helps - or gets you closer to solving your problem.
Jim