[P1] Panther & AirPort & Router problem

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Tue Mar 9 23:34:43 PST 2004

I've some experience with a very similar setup.  That router is
quite stable and reasonable, plays nicely with AirPort bs, etc.
Sounds like you're not aaware that your DSL is (likely) PPPoE,
and the PPPoE has to be the WAN setting (on 1st of the BEFSR41
admin screens, as I recall).  Reset that, then see how things are.
And don't worry about fooling around with your settings, just
printout the current settings from your web browser interface
views before you fool around.  You can always reset to factory
defaults and start over, if you totally lose access to admin the
router--after you do that a few times :-) , re-setting the router
the way you want it is quick.  As far as reacquiring the lease,
I believe there's a setting to enable that but don't have a
router here now.  This kind of question is one the DSL tech
support shold be able to answer, in any case.  They can't expect
their large customer base to have to reset their equipment every
few days.

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Seeker wrote:

>     If anyone on the list is using a Linksys wired router, I have a Linksys
> BEFSR41 Router, please read on...
>
>     I had the following setup working just fine...until I messed around with
> it and now it's cacked.
>
>     DSL modem connected to above Linksys router by ethernet cable; router in
> turn connected to desktop G3 via one port and AirPort Graphite Base station
> via another.  Running latest version of Panther and have updated AirPort.
>
>     Found out that Earthlink renews my lease every two or three days and I
> had to manually reset the Router to regain internet access.  No big deal,
> but inelegant. (Isn't Mac computing supposed to be elegant??)
>
>     Thought there must be a better way.  Read the manual, found the IP
> address Earthlink currently assigned to my machine, connected to my Router
> settings via Safari, changed Internet Connection Type from PPPoE to
> Automatic typed in my then-current IP address and hit Save Settings.
>
>     Instant disaster.  No connection to the internet and, worst of all, I
> can no longer connect to the Router settings via Safari.  Safari simply
> times out.
 . . .