[P1] networking a PowerBook with X.1.5

Christian Dupuis cdupuis at lcc.ca
Wed Mar 10 09:12:45 PST 2004

On 17-Feb-04, at 6:48 PM, Eric Richardson wrote:

>> Install Panther.
>

> Thanks, but I fear that may not be an option for them right now. Any
> suggestions how to make it work with X.1.5?

I thought Dave from Thursby software would do the trick; unfortunately,
it requires 10.2 minimum, so the upgrade is pretty much your best bet.

Otherwise, you won't be able to transfer files over unless you install
Virtual PC (quite the kludge, and a ressource hog). Or go back to OS
9.2, and get Dave for that version. If that "office full of PCs"
exchanges files via a Windows server, have the sysadmin install and
enable services for Unix and Macintosh; you can probably connect to the
network share without too much of a pain afterwards (if you require
NTLM2 authentication, the client for OS X is available for free from
Microsoft).

If your "office full of PCs" uses peer to peer networking, and you want
to stick with X, you're simply going to have to upgrade to Jaguar
minimum, and use its built-in tools or add dave. Or go Panther, and
save yourself a lot of headaches. I have two OS X labs running Jaguar
that connect to a series of Windows 2000 servers; I'll upgrade them to
Panther this summer, and gain full connectivity to file AND print
ressources, without having to install Services for Macintosh on my
Windows 2000 boxes.

Chris Dupuis
Mac user, Network Manager/Sysadmin
Lower Canada College