[P1] Panther

Seeker bobgir at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 10 09:36:14 PST 2004

    Many, many thanks for your replies and help.

    I went to the Linksys site, downloaded a document entitled >Setting Up
Earthlink PPPoE With A Router" and followed just the first half.

    Shut everything down, unplugged all the ethernet cables to everything.

    Did a Hard Reset (factory defaults) to the Router.

    Restarted and I was able to access the router settings via Safari.
===============
> As to the other problem you might try upgrading the
> firmware. This is where the no Mac support comes into
> play. The firmware upgrade are all PC based. There
> where some Mac hacks that are not supported by
> Linksys, I don't know if there is an OS X version.
>
> If you do upgrade the firmware it might be easiest to
> borrow a PC laptop and use that. Thats what I did.

    Gasp! You trafficked with a PC?  Great idea.  I have a Mac pal whose
wife uses a PC laptop who himself also has a Linksys router.  I'll pass this
along to him.
==============

> You should also be able to setup the router for PPPoE and let it get
> the IP address automagically (DHCP), not where you type it in.  Then
> when Earthlink "renews" the address, your router will handle that for
> you and you should not have to get into the config settings.  If you
> have to type in the IP address, then you do not have an address that
> gets "renewed" every few days.

    This is _precisely_ what I want to do, Scott.

    Are those entries made in the Status page of settings?

    Would you mind if I sent you a screen shot of my choices on that page?
===============

> I've some experience with a very similar setup.  That router is
> quite stable and reasonable, plays nicely with AirPort bs, etc.
> Sounds like you're not aware that your DSL is (likely) PPPoE,
> and the PPPoE has to be the WAN setting (on 1st of the BEFSR41
> admin screens, as I recall).  Reset that, then see how things are.
> And don't worry about fooling around with your settings, just
> printout the current settings from your web browser interface
> views before you fool around.  You can always reset to factory
> defaults and start over, if you totally lose access to admin the
> router--after you do that a few times :-) , re-setting the router
> the way you want it is quick.  As far as reacquiring the lease,
> I believe there's a setting to enable that but don't have a
> router here now.  This kind of question is one the DSL tech
> support should be able to answer, in any case.  They can't expect
> their large customer base to have to reset their equipment every
> few days.

    Agree most strongly with your last sentence, Tom, and that's what I was
trying to achieve:  not having to reset my equipment every few days.

    When you say "PPPoE has to be the WAN setting". I looked at both the
Setup and Admin pages but could find no WAN setting, however.

    Thanks, once more,
    bob