[P1] OT: Setting up Public Wi-Fi

Scott Warren sw at shelton.org
Thu Mar 11 07:20:56 PST 2004

Logistic watch outs:
- Customer's try to use their email client and your ISP's might have
restrictions (anti-spam policy) but most people connecting would not be
novice...
- Making sure your equipment is protected
- Customer use does not take up so much bandwidth that your business is
effected
- providing the customer with how to connect to the wi-fi

Evil watch outs:
- Customers trying to get into other customer's (or your) shared
computers
- Customer unknowingly with a virus infected machine spreading to other
customers or using your internet connection to spread the virus
- Customer knowingly uses your free connection to send out spam to the
internet (your ISP can block smtp traffic that is not thru them)
- Hacker with a big antenna sitting outside the building and a packet
sniffer learning all the secrets about anyone using the device (more
likely than you might think, its called war driving and its catching
on....  using the sniffer is war spying and VERY illegal...
www.wardriving.com )

The customer benefit is far greater than the risks...