[P1] OT: Setting up Public Wi-Fi

Nikon's World nikon80x at mac.com
Thu Mar 11 07:47:08 PST 2004

On Thursday, March 11, 2004, at 09:20  AM, Scott Warren wrote:

> Logistic watch outs:
> - Customer's try to use their email client and your ISP's might have
> restrictions (anti-spam policy) but most people connecting would not
> be novice...
> - Making sure your equipment is protected
> - Customer use does not take up so much bandwidth that your business
> is effected
> - providing the customer with how to connect to the wi-fi
>
> Evil watch outs:
> - Customers trying to get into other customer's (or your) shared
> computers
> - Customer unknowingly with a virus infected machine spreading to
> other customers or using your internet connection to spread the virus
> - Customer knowingly uses your free connection to send out spam to the
> internet (your ISP can block smtp traffic that is not thru them)
> - Hacker with a big antenna sitting outside the building and a packet
> sniffer learning all the secrets about anyone using the device (more
> likely than you might think, its called war driving and its catching
> on....  using the sniffer is war spying and VERY illegal...
> www.wardriving.com )
>
> The customer benefit is far greater than the risks...
>
> On Mar 11, 2004, at 8:30 AM, Signhelpers.com wrote:
>
>> Any thought out there about the problems-precautions involved in
>> setting up a public wi-fi location? We have a situation where we
>> could allow customers to access the Net but have concerns about
>> security etc.
>>
>> --
>> Signhelpers.com
>> Mike Urseth
>> P.O. Box 237
>> Ridgeland WI 54763
>> 715-837-1120

For a little protection from people on the street, set your router to
not send out your ssid and change the default network name.

Neither wardriving or using a sniffer program is illegal. Anyone with a
wifi enabled laptop should have at least one sniffer program on there
computer, I have two.

700MHz iBook running 10.2.8
Macs for life!
http://homepage.mac.com/nikon80x/Menu2.html