[P1] OT: Setting up Public Wi-Fi

Mike Beede beede at visi.com
Thu Mar 11 17:17:30 PST 2004

On Mar 11, 2004, at 6:09 PM, Brian Pearce wrote:

> Perhaps, but I should think simple common courtesy would lead most of
> us to do so before just assuming we can use it.

I'm not sure I agree.  If I pick up my email through someone's
cable modem, who is hurt?  If the network is called "public"
can I assume it's okay?  What about if my laptop is set to
"auto" and exchanges some packets?  Lethal injection or
just non-lethal stoning?

It's not a completely straightforward problem.  Is it okay
if I send them an email telling them how to enable WEP?
I guess I'd be happy if there were some societal consensus
about it, but some folks just don't seem to care (and some
do).

I guess now *I'm* off topic....

	Mike Beede