[P1] iBook decision - 900MHz G3 vs. current models?

Gary joehardy at mac.com
Thu Mar 11 19:19:56 PST 2004

On 3/11/04 2:30 PM, "mglists at ca.inter.net" <mglists at ca.inter.net> wrote:

> My question is, would there be enough of a performance improvement/feature set
> in the G4
> iBook to
> justify spending the extra cash? I've been told that the G3/900, because of
> its larger L2
> cache, turns in
> a sufficiently powerful performance that the extra money for the G4 iBook
> isn't really
> worth spending.

    Go for the G4. I just replaced a 700 MHz G3 with an 800 MHz G4. There is
a difference, a much bigger performance difference than just 100 MHz and a
different processor.
    Plus software like Final Cut Express is now for G4 only. And iMovie 4
really begs for a G4 for best performance.

> Does the fact that the G3 iBook can be booted in either OS9 or OSX matter that
> much?

    Shouldn't matter a bit unless you feel masochistic and want to slip back
into 9 once in a while.  :)   I've run a few Classic programs on the G4 in
Panther and it works just dandy.

Gary
--
http://homepage.mac.com/joehardy