[P1] OT: Setting up Public Wi-Fi

Harry D. Corsover harry at corsazzi.com
Fri Mar 12 12:21:11 PST 2004

I was asking about setting the router to not broadcast the SSID
(whatever that is).

On Mar 12, 2004, at 11:04 AM, Mike Beede wrote:

> Your SMC probably has a page in the management interface that allows
> you to set the network name.  I don't see any advantage to changing
> that.
> It also has someplace to set the WEP key.  That's what the writer
> meant by "password."  If you haven't enabled WEP, do so.

I spent hours on the phone with tech support trying to do that, and
gave up. I finally had it set up for 128 bit WEP on my PowerBook G4,
then discovered that my wife's clamshell iBook can only use 40 bit (I
think) WEP. So, I tried to set up the PowerBook for 40 bit WEP. For
whatever reason, I never did get that to work, so I gave up on it.
Someone would have to be seriously tresspassing to get close enough
anyway, and we don't keep file sharing on.

>  You'll need
> to either make up a passphrase or a string of hex digits (digits drawn
> from the set "0123456789abcdef").  Each machine that uses the network
> needs to have the key or passphrase set into it.  Be aware that when
> you enable encryption you will lose your wireless connection to the
> router until you enter the key in your computer.

Once, or every time I come back in range of my network? If the latter,
it is certainly not worth the trouble for me. If Keychain can
automatically supply the WEP passphrase, then it is at least a
possibility.

>  If you didn't write
> down the key you may have to do a factory reset on the router.  Don't
> forget to write it down.
>
> 	Mike Beede

Thanks.

Harry Corsover

     Harry Corsover, Independent Business Owner
	CyberWize: The Home Business Solution
	Amazing Travel * Health * Tax Benefits
            <http://www.hc.cyberwize.com>
       <harry at corsazzi.com> * 877-507-9562