[P1] iBook decision - 900MHz G3 vs. current models?

Ted Johansson ted.johansson at pobox.com
Fri Mar 12 15:54:13 PST 2004

>> My question is, would there be enough of a performance
>> improvement/feature set in the G4
>> iBook to
>> justify spending the extra cash? I've been told that the G3/900,
>> because of its larger L2
>> cache, turns in
>> a sufficiently powerful performance that the extra money for the G4
>> iBook isn't really
>> worth spending.
>
> In my opinion, the G4 performance is well worth the extra money.  At
> work, I regularly wanted to throw my G3/800 iBook (with an added 512 of
> memory) out the window, while the G4 with no extra memory only annoys
> me when it has kernal panics.  And I'm used to using a relatively slow
> Titanium/400 at home.

I am considering exchanging my G3/800 with 640 MB RAM with a G4 in due
time whenever a new set of models arrive.
Went to the site of Xbench, particularly the Comparison Site at
http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/, to see if it was worth upgrading.
Typically the G3/800/640 has a benchmark of something like 50 up to 60,
while G3/900 is up to 65 and the G4/800/640 is about 80 up to nearly
90. Powerbook G4/800 (Ti) (I don't know the PB models so well, maybe
this is not the best model to compare with) shows more like 90 up to
100.
For each model there is a quite large range of benchmark values, but I
think the data can be used to indicate the relative performances, there
are quite much data for each computer model.

/Ted