[P1] iBook Dilemma

Gabriel A Grieser grieser at u.washington.edu
Wed Mar 17 22:41:32 PST 2004

I have a 12" iBook G4, and I'm very happy with it. The DVD/CDRW combo
is now standard, and it's nice to have now that Apple's iLife suite,
for example, comes on a DVD-ROM and more software packages may follow,
so that's a good investment to make. iLife and Panther come with the
new models, and the performance is great. The G4 Powerbooks are nice,
but there is big price difference, so I'd really only recommend those
if you'd be likely to want to burn DVDs too. I have Airport Extreme on
mine as well. I recommend the 12 inch model because the 14 inch screen
has the same resolution and that small amount of extra size makes it a
little less convenient. I went with the standard lowest 30 GB hard
drive and 256 MB RAM, which is fine. RAM is cheap, so upgrading at any
time shouldn't be a problem, and if the hard drive fills up, those will
probably be cheaper at that time than they are now. I'd recommend
investing the $100 on Airport Extreme rather than a big hard drive or
more RAM because so many places have free Wifi, and it's amazing how
easily it works. I just bought the Airport Extreme at the Apple store,
followed the instructions, turned the machine on, and it just started
working without installing any additional software. When you're in the
area of a Network, it just appears in the menu bar.