[P1] iBook Dilemma

Mike Wallinga mwallinga at mailup.net
Thu Mar 18 07:42:53 PST 2004

May,

As far as the combo drive, I find it a worthwhile investment.  I use
the CD-RW for backing up files or making music CDs from iTunes more
than I use the DVD capabilities of the drive, but as others have
pointed out, there is some software being released on DVD today.  If
you plan on keeping this computer for 4-5 years like you have your
clamshell, then you can expect to see even more software released on
DVD in that period of time.  All in all, I think the combo drive is
worth the $100 or so extra that Apple charges for it.

I purchased the 14 inch 933 MHz model, and upgraded to a 60 GB hard
drive.  I like to have space, and have also experienced firsthand the
same situation you described with your 3 GB drive - hard drives seem
spacious at first, but tend to fill up faster than you expect!  I don't
see the usefulness in paying for the 1 GHz processor model, though.
It's such a slight difference in speed compared to the 933 that I
couldn't justify it at all.

Anyway, I hope my replies and those from other members of the list have
been helpful.  Good luck with your purchases, and if you have any more
questions, you know where to ask!  :-)

- Mike W.