[P1] OT: Setting up Public Wi-Fi

Michael Flournoy meflournoy at mac.com
Fri Mar 19 17:35:33 PST 2004

My son's Karate class is in a strip mall. If I sit in my car while he
is in his class I can connect to someone's wireless and surf the net. I
don't have a clue where the base station is. There are at least 3 good
possibilities. To me if you "broadcast" something it is, by default,
being offered to whoever has the equipment to receive it. Radio
stations would love to force a subscription charge if they could figure
out how. But the technology requires them to " broadcast " impartially
when they use a public wavelength.
If I want to use wireless networking internally and don't want to share
it then it is my responsibility to lock it down.
           Mike