[P1] Panther printing

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Tue May 4 11:41:14 PDT 2004

> Don't leave us in suspense. What "dedicated device" did you buy? I
> bought a print server device (I forget the brand) that was advertised
> as working with Macs and PCs, but when I got it, the fine print on the
> box said it worked only with PostScript printers.

It was a D-Link DP311U, I think...cost about $120 through Amazon.com.
(I believe this device will also work only with Postscript printers;
but that wasn't a concern for me, since I only wanted to access a Laser
Printer, anyway.)

It works, with a few caveats: you'll need your own Ethernet cable. And
it works with the Mac, but the documentation is just *terrible,* and it
required some common sense and luck to be able to set it up. (The
documentation said to select the same channel as your wireless network,
which didn't work; someone on the list suggested a different channel,
and that's worked great.) It seems to need to be rebooted from time to
time, for reasons unknown. (And you can't "save" the settings; they
need to me manually entered if you do a "factory" reset.)

I could have left the computer on all the time, I suppose, but I just
don't feel comfortable doing so; and this lets my wife share the
printer through her PC without my having to sort out how to do that
through OS X (though I understand it's possible).

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net
http://www.redjacketpress.com