[P1] Panther printing

Charles Pearce charlesp at ksu.edu
Tue May 4 09:42:40 PDT 2004

On May 4, 2004, at 10:33 AM, Brian Pearce wrote:

>> Another thing, I thought that GIMP Print would allow a Macintosh
>> print from nearly any computer that the iBook is attached to. I tried
>> that but can't seem to get it to work.
>
> If I understand you correctly, I think what you'll want to do is turn
> on Printer Sharing under System Preferences-->Sharing-->Printer
> Sharing. That allows you to share the Printers a computer is connected
> to over a network; I used to do this wirelessly with my iMac and
> iBook, but the iMac had to be active for it to work (which meant going
> downstairs and waking it from sleep mode), so I bought a dedicated
> device (one that allowed my wife's PC access, as well), instead.

Don't leave us in suspense. What "dedicated device" did you buy? I
bought a print server device (I forget the brand) that was advertised
as working with Macs and PCs, but when I got it, the fine print on the
box said it worked only with PostScript printers. I was trying to make
it work with an Epson 5700i--which never wanted to work with any
OS-X--and finally gave up. I ended up buying a Brother 1440 and it
works like a champ with Panther. I leave the computer it is connected
to (USB) on all the time and don't let it go into sleep mode so that
the printer is available to others in the house through printer
sharing, and so the cpu can do its late-night maintenance. But, if your
solution works better, i would be happy to hear about it.

Charles Pearce (the other Pearce on the list)
<charlesp at ksu.edu>