[P1] Old G3 to New iBook G4

Kurt Cypher kcypher42 at earthlink.net
Wed May 5 18:13:15 PDT 2004

On May 5, 2004, at 5:10 PM, Joost van de Griek wrote:

> Almost, but not quite. It's very unlikely that the user on the new
> 'Book and
> the old user will have the same user Ids on both installs, so after
> copying
> your entire home folder onto the new 'Book, change the ownership for
> the
> entire folder to the new user, even if both have the same short names.
>
> You can do this in the Terminal by issuing the following command:
>
> sudo chown -R staff:[short username] ~[short username]

For those who would rather not venture into the Terminal, you can also
do this via the finder's "Get Info" screen.  Just do "Get Info" on
whatever directory you want to change, go to "Ownership & Permissions",
"Details".  Set the "Owner" to the correct username, and the "Group" to
the correct group name (you might have to click on the padlock to
enable changes.  Then click on "Apply to enclosed items" to tell it to
do the change recursively.

Also, not to nitpick, but the Terminal command above should be:
sudo chown -R [short username]:staff ~[short username]

(the groupname "staff" comes after the username)

> Where, obviously, you'll need to replace [short username] with your
> actual
> short username.

> Why do people with closed minds always open their mouths?

My guess is that it's air cooling for their hot-headedness.

> --
>
> Joost van de Griek
> <http://www.jvdg.net/>

Kurt