[P1] external monitor with closed lid on ibook G3

J.C. Webber III jcw at kingoblio.com
Thu May 6 19:46:32 PDT 2004

Angus Wallace wrote:
> Probably your best bet is to use the hack (assuming you think it's
> safe, and are comfortable with the associated risks), and then use the
> ibook with the lid open and the LCD off, relying on your external
> monitor for visuals. Remember that ibooks only have vga (not DVI)
> output, so you should consider this when choosing an external monitor.
> I haven't applied the hack myself, and so can't comment on its
> stability, reliability or safety - or the effect it will have on your
> warranty.

I was VERY pleased with that hack (I use past tense here because I've
upgraded to a PowerBook and given my iBook to my Dad).  But I didn't
dim the iBook's display or close the lid, I used it as a second display.

I've spent most of my career sitting in front of dual monitors, so
having the iBook hooked up to a monitor as a dual display was great.

--
J.C. Webber III
Technical Lead, Unix System Administrator