[P1] Questions re. Burning Music onto CDs

KhooCK filhos at hotmail.com
Sun May 16 02:45:51 PDT 2004

on 16/5/04 6:14 am, F. Hill at fhill at gci.net wrote:

> assuming the CD player can read the CD, will the .aiff
songs play?  Should I convert them to some other format?

A bog standard CD player will only read Red Book audio CD compliant CDs. So
if you burn a CD containing a bunch of aiff files, it will not work. You
need to author it using either Toast or iTunes. Drag the aiff files into
iTunes and it should be selectable for burning (make sure you set the
burning preference to audio CD and not mp3).

This is analogous to Video DVDs, which contain MPEG2 files. If you stick a
bunch of MPEG 2 files onto a DVD, a bog standard DVD player will not read
it. If you author it to DVD0video standards, it will then be able to read
it.

I imagine there is some kind of firmware built into standalone players that
can interpret the data, but only if it's presented in the correct format.
Alternatively, you can now get DVD and CD players that can read non authored
data. I have a Yamada DVX 6100 that will accept and read a data (ie Extended
HFS, PC format etc) disc containing MPEG 4, MPEG 2, MPEG 1, mp3 etc.

Hope this is useful

CK