[P1] Cameras

3 a.m. Design Studio 3amdesigns at cox.net
Mon May 24 19:22:26 PDT 2004

On 5/24/04 9:46 PM, "Angus Wallace" <angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Just to resurrect this thread...
>
> I'm thinking about the powershot series, but I'm also considering the
> Olympus C-760 (or similar), which has a 10x optical zoom (which I think
> would be a real asset). Does anyone have any experience with this, or
> other cameras who can give me some advice?
>
> I'm not a photography buff, but think I'd like to play with manual
> control of a camera, and I thought a 10x optical zoom would give
> greater flexibility...
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
> -Angus

>> My in-laws took us with them to a reunion (so we could drive & take
>> pix :-) last
>> night. I got a 128MB CF card at the same time I got the camera, and
>> they had
>> me taking shots of each couple (about 20) and various mixes of people.
>> Others
>> were doing the same & kept dropping out to swap film; I just kept
>> shooting. It
>> really boggled them when I shut off the camera, pulled out the CF
>> card, and
>> told them that's where all the pictures were.
>>
>> Only gripes with the A-series Powershots is the lack of a 2nd strap
>> "eye" for
>> use with a neck strap (it only allows for a wrist strap) and I'd like
>> it if the mode
>> selection dial wasn't so easy to knock to a different setting. (I'd
>> absolutely
>> love it if the shutter & aperture settings had dial switches instead
>> of using a
>> menu to set them too!)
>> --
>> Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
>> "The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."
>> -- Paul Tyson, on xml-doc

>> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to
>> <ibook-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>> Need help from a real person? Try.
>> <ibook-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>> ----------
>> Small Dog Electronics    http://www.smalldog.com   | Enter To Win A |
>>  --  Canon Digital Camcorders start at $799       |  Free iBook!   |
>>
>> iBookPlanet.com |  Visit iBookPlanet.com for the hottest
>>                |  iBook News, Features, Reviews & More.
>>
>>   RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20
>> Traveler  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at
>> <http://roadtools.com>
>>
>> MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only
>> $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS!
>> <http://www.macresq.com>
>>

> Angus Wallace              o__     o__     o__     o__     o__
> Flinders University        ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_
> Ph. (08) 82013363         (_)\(_) (_)\(_) (_)\(_) (_)\(_) (_)\(_)
> Fax: (08) 82013618       Enjoy gridlock today? No?  -  Ride a Bike!
> a n g u s . w a l l a c e @ f l i n d e r s . e d u . a u

> [...]

Zoom is nice because it can get you in on the action, however when it comes
to optical vs. digital, go for the optical (lens, usually
detachable/interchangeable doing the zooming) over digital (camera's chip
doing the zooming). Digital zoom can tend to fuzz out somewhat - which
granted, if you're doing family and fun stuff isn't really a problem but if
you're looking to do professional quality stuff, can make a difference.
Something else to consider - look for something at least 3.2 megapixels (I
think that #'s right, may want to double check me on that one!) in order to
take pics that can print at 8x10.

Oh yeah, Angus, nice signature, been keeping up with the Giro?

Chris
--

Chris Hood

3 a.m. Design Studio