[P1] Cameras

Robert Newman rlnewmanitools at mac.com
Tue May 25 17:52:05 PDT 2004

Angus Wallace wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Just to resurrect this thread...
>
> I'm thinking about the powershot series, but I'm also considering the
> Olympus C-760 (or similar), which has a 10x optical zoom (which I
> think would be a real asset). Does anyone have any experience with
> this, or other cameras who can give me some advice?
>
> I'm not a photography buff, but think I'd like to play with manual
> control of a camera, and I thought a 10x optical zoom would give
> greater flexibility...
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
> -Angus

>> My in-laws took us with them to a reunion (so we could drive & take
>> pix :-) last
>> night. I got a 128MB CF card at the same time I got the camera, and
>> they had
>> me taking shots of each couple (about 20) and various mixes of
>> people. Others
>> were doing the same & kept dropping out to swap film; I just kept
>> shooting. It
>> really boggled them when I shut off the camera, pulled out the CF
>> card, and
>> told them that's where all the pictures were.
>>
>> Only gripes with the A-series Powershots is the lack of a 2nd strap
>> "eye" for
>> use with a neck strap (it only allows for a wrist strap) and I'd like
>> it if the mode
>> selection dial wasn't so easy to knock to a different setting. (I'd
>> absolutely
>> love it if the shutter & aperture settings had dial switches instead
>> of using a
>> menu to set them too!)
>> --
>> Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
>> "The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."
>> -- Paul Tyson, on xml-doc
>> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to
>> <ibook-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>> Need help from a real person? Try.
>> <ibook-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>> ----------
>> Small Dog Electronics    http://www.smalldog.com   | Enter To Win A |
>>  --  Canon Digital Camcorders start at $799       |  Free iBook!   |
>>
>> iBookPlanet.com |  Visit iBookPlanet.com for the hottest
>>                |  iBook News, Features, Reviews & More.
>>
>>   RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20
>> Traveler  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at
>> <http://roadtools.com>
>>
>> MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only
>> $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS!
>> <http://www.macresq.com>
>>

> Angus Wallace              o__     o__     o__     o__     o__
> Flinders University        ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_
> Ph. (08) 82013363         (_)\(_) (_)\(_) (_)\(_) (_)\(_) (_)\(_)
> Fax: (08) 82013618       Enjoy gridlock today? No?  -  Ride a Bike!
> a n g u s . w a l l a c e @ f l i n d e r s . e d u . a u

> [...]

Hi:

I am a digital camera repair technician.  What ever you decide on do not
let some jerk at a photo store looking for a commission, convince you
otherwise.  Many will tell you that if you do not buy a 8 megapixel
camera, you cannot print anything bigger than 4x6.  This is nonsense.
Since we do warranties on most major camera brands, I have used almost
everything out here.  The benefit of the larger megapixel cameras is if
you need to crop.  When you crop you must blow up the resulting picture
more.  If you crop out 50% of a 1280x960 image, you will have 640x480
image, which probably could not be printed very big.  If you however,
compose carefully, and just get as much of the picture that you need.
You can print a 2.3 megapixel image up to 16X20.  People would not
believe us, so we used my excellent Olympus UltraZoom 2100 which is a
2.3 mp camera, and shot a macro of a water lilly.  We then had it blown
up to 16x20 by a local lab, and mounted and framed.  Now people come in
and are blown away by the image.  When they find out that it was with a
2.3 mp camera, they are even more amazed.  The Olympus UZ2100 has a 10X
optical zoom with image stabilization, and that stabilization makes a
world of difference.  One other piece of advice.  Stick to the camera
brands, i.e. Canon, Minolta, Pentax, Fuji, Olympus, etc. and avoid
Epson, Panasonic, etc. as it is difficult to find a place that will
repair them.  Avoid RCA, Emerson, and off brand digitals, as if it
breaks outside of the warranty, you can just throw it a way. Even if it
only has a broken battery cover, most of these brands (if you can locate
them) do not sell parts outside of warranty.

Hope this helps,
Robert Newman