[iBook] Freezing and Sleeping problems

Eric Richardson lbyron at comcast.net
Wed Nov 3 06:07:21 PST 2004

I am trying to rebuild a 500 MHZ snow white dual USB iBook, with 640
MB RAM and airport. It was mine before I sold it to my office
colleague, but, I am having trouble with the rebuild. The machine has
original disks with 10.1 and software restore seems to have no
trouble and it ran Jag for a long time before I sold it and after I
sold it. But after I sort of wiped it and started a new account for
my colleague I couldn't get the internet to work.

Now, with 10.1, the internet worked, but when I tried to upgrade to
Jag, it would stop during the installation with multiple problems. I
erased the disk and reinstalled a couple of times with similar
results. Before reinstalling I tried repairing the disks with disk
utility and DiskWarrior, but the first couple of times it didn't work
and could not complete the repair.

Finally, I erased the disk again, and then I started straight from
the Jaguar installation disk. Same problems. It would hang on the
second installation disk. Then I started up in Panther from my
firewire drive after completing the first installation disk and
repaired permissions and ran DiskWarrior and finally it loaded both
disks and now have Jag installed. But still the internet ethernet
connection and airport connection doesn't work (remember it did in
10.1).

When I try to restart the computer, it gets a kernel panic and stops
about 2 out of 3 times. The other time it starts.

I can't find anything like the old internet setup assistant that I
used to run through when I had connection troubles before either.

Any idea what is going on? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Eric Richardson