[iBook] ibook overheats+crashes. apple did not fix it

stef stefstuff at tiscali.it
Wed Nov 17 10:36:35 PST 2004

my ibook G4 [OS 10.3.6] has been having this issue that it gets really
warm on the lower left side [warmer than usual] and when this happens
many applications start crashing/quitting [even the finder, the dock ,
safari]

I know it is not software related because i did clean installs - i even
erased / reformatted / reinstalled the drive.

when it gets really hot then if I reboot I get the gray startup screen
hanging forever. no spinning wheel - just there the gray screen and
Apple logo.

if i leave the ibook off for a bit once it cools off it acts normally.

I sent it to Apple twice but they found no issue. very frustrating
because the second time that just erased my drive and reinstalled -
still the issue is not resolved.

actually the 1st time i sent it in - I spoke with a tech person at Apple
that was kind of rude and condescending.

of course if they get my ibook and turn it on it acts normally - it
starts going crazy only after some time and when it gets warm for using
more applications at once.

I wonder if maybe there is more than 1 fan and one eventually is not
working -

if there is a problem with the temperature the fan switches on

or there is some heat dissipating problem -

or... or...?

I know it is not software.

and will Apple be able to fix it?

I spoke to someone higher on the hierarchy. Steve Anderson or something.

he seemed nice.
 he gave me his extension.

but after that he never returned my calls.

it is such a bummer.
 stefano

ibook G4; Mac OS X (10.3.6); 384