[iBook] ram follow up

david davidwb at spymac.com
Thu Nov 18 06:33:49 PST 2004

On 11/18/04 8:38 AM, "DinkyBlah at aol.com" <DinkyBlah at aol.com> wrote:

> So in doing more research i was told powerbook ram (pc2700) could also be
> used in an ibook so
> i''m even more confused as to which brand to buy since several companies make
> the same 512 chip just one is samsung one is generic or one is crucial one is
> kingmax etc...
>
> are they all basicly the same or?
>
> since pc2700 is faster then pc2100 is it advised to use the faster ram in an
> ibook?

My best advice is:
   a) look for long full replacement warranty
   b) a trusted vendor

Chances are the RAM you buy will last the life of your computer but we've
seen twice now where Apple OS upgrades have revealed some RAM to be
marginal. After spending $$ to upgrade the OS it is a pain to shell out
another chunk of $$ for new RAM. A lifetime warranty eases that pain.

Sometimes the RAM arrives DOA - a vendor that will cross ship a replacement
is (at least to me) more convenient than a vendor who requires you to ship
the bad RAM back first. I just finished dealing with a vendor of this ilk. I
got a bad iPod case, had to send it back before they'd send a replacement.
>From initial order to finally getting a usable case - 2 months. Unacceptable
in my book.

I buy all my RAM from Crucial - professionally and personally. They aren't
the cheapest but they are competitive and they have always bent over
backwards to serve my account well.

Buying RAM that is faster than the specs for your computer won't cause any
harm but also won't have any benefit - unless you decide to buy a new
computer that can use that faster RAM.

david