[iBook] ibook overheats+crashes. apple did not fix it

stef stefstuff at tiscali.it
Fri Nov 19 09:14:37 PST 2004

thanks for the replies.

the ibook overheats more on a bed or a couch - but if i do some image
editing - email in the background etc etc -
it heats and goes crazy...

I wonder if there is a forum that Apple / Applecare people read -
somewhere I could post this issue and get some feedback - also I can
only send my ibook when I know it won't take too long to fix it and I
won't need it badly during that time -

I don't have the $ to buy a new one - although I thought about selling
it on eBay and buying a new one -
although I wonder how much it would make.

then I have some small white spot halos on the screen -

Apple said it is pressure when it gets carried inside a bag [ i put it
in a neoprene padded laptop bag inside a messenger bag - still I got
those spots.
wish Apple would mention this issue in a manual - not after the fact.
and maybe make the back of the screen a bit more reinforced.
anyway...
well -

I think when I have no need for my ibook I will send it again to Apple.
but I don't understand why that guy does not call me back.

I have a friend that is really good with computers/electronics -
I got an email from him that is maybe interesting...

here it is ...

"I dunno. I'm a little turned around. here's a view looking down at the
keyboard
with the top case removed. you'll see the screen and hinge at the top of the
photo. circle the area that gets hot for me in photoshop.

I don't know why they always put the hard drive so close to the proc. it's
totally stupid design. the ability for the topcase and bottomcase shieldsto
act as heat sinks is marginal at best. the hard drive should be closer to
the optical drive and the proc should be where the hard drive is, but as far
from the battery as possible. the fan could then move down toward the
battery and proc.

who designs this crap?

--
if the erratic cursor is a symptom, this is apple's workflow for repair of
what causes that. I'd assume it's not the trackpad connector or topcase.:

The cursor intermittently does not move or moves erratically

Note: User must touch with the surface of only one finger at a time and
point directly down on the trackpad surface.

1. Clean trackpad surface (with computer off, using a non-static-inducing
material).

2. Completely shut down, then press the power button to start the computer.
3. Reset the power manager by pressing the key combination
Control-Option-Shiftpower.

Warning: Make sure you do not hold down the "fn" key when resetting the
power manager. Warning: Resetting the power manager will permanently remove
a RAM disk, if present, and all of its contents. You will also need to
reset the date and time (using the Date & Time control panel).

4. Try unit on battery power. If problem goes away, replace power adapter.

5. Place a Mac OS system CD in the optical disc drive, press the start
button and hold down the “C” key. Check the cursor movement, to see if the
problem is software.

6. Check trackpad cable and connection to the logic board (see separate Top
Case replacement instructions for location under RAM shield).

7. Replace top case.

8. Replace logic board.
---

welll maybe Apple does not know - but I know it is not software...

stefano