[iBook] Hello, I am new to the list.

MTH nikon80x at mac.com
Mon Oct 4 09:00:58 PDT 2004

On Oct 3, 2004, at 5:46 PM, S. Douglass wrote:

> on 10/03/2004 5:40 PM, Larry Kollar at kollar at alltel.net wrote:
>
> I have heard mixed reports on Jaguar for the 700mhz iBook.
>
> I see a couple of places where I could buy it cheap (And several folks
> have
> offered to send me disks, many thanks) and I know I could get a hold
> of it
> one way or another, but several folk have told me to avoid Jag on the
> G3
> iBooks. Many have said it slows it down, reduces the battery life, and
> has
> very poor video performance. How are all of your experiences with it?
> People
> keep telling me to save up and spring for Panther and don't waste my
> time
> with Jag. Last time I tried OSX was the very first release and I hated
> it.
> It's grown up some and matured, and I think with a new machine, I am
> ready
> to try it. I know nothing about it, other then what I have read at
> various
> tech forums. One thing seems constant, and that's avoid Jaguar. Is it
> really
> all that bad?
>
> I am I am jittery. I honestly don't care what I use at this point. I
> want it
> to arrive. Must wait for Monday for it to even ship. Longest weekend
> ever...

If you can get Jaguar for free or really cheap, I would go for it.
Until just this last week I had been using Jaguar with absolutely no
problems. I saw no slowdowns, shortened battery life or video playback
problems.
Panther is definitely better, but unless you can find a great deal for
it you are better off sticking with Jaguar and waiting for Tiger next
year. That is just my opinion.

700MHz iBook G3
640MB Ram
OS 10.3.5