[iBook] Slow IBook

Max Miles earthvital at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 08:26:41 PDT 2004

Doug, after installing the RAM you might also need to check this out:

http://www.macmaps.com/Macosxspeed.html

I've had problems in the past with HP printer software slowing things
down, for instance. There could be many culprits.

~m

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 16:32:30 +0930, Angus Wallace
<angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au> wrote:
> Heya,
>
> You *need* at least 256mb RAM to run OSX, but will notice a significant
> improvement if you get 512.
>
> Being a unix-based OS, there is essentially no such thing as 'too much' RAM,
> because the OS is very good at pre-caching in the RAM. This will help reduce
> hard-disk usage, and will greatly improve performance. It's probably the most
> effective (and cheap ;-) way to upgrade your system!
>
> HTH,
> -Angus
>

> Quoting William Wiseman <elox at hot.rr.com>:
>
> > > I have a 12" ibook 800/128/OS 10.3.5 with a hard wired internet
> > > connection through a router.  Loading internet pages or even Mail is
> > > extremely slow, I can wait for up to 30 seconds for the spinning wheel
> > > to start.  EBay is almost non workable as it can take up to a minute
> > > for images to load.  My WINTEL box sitting right beside it with a
> > > 1.5/512 responds astoundingly fast in comparison.  My old CRT iMac
> > > with a 400 mhz processor is three times as fast as the ibook.   Before
> > > I start troubleshooting this issue maybe someone has some good advice.
> > >  My first thought is that the 128 RAM needs to be maxed out, but
> > > wonder if the real issue is the video memory which I don't think I can
> > > change.   I am porting the video out to a Digital 21" monitor but
> > > don't know if that could drag down the system.  I know in the WINTEL
> > > world memory is key but not sure about iBooks.  Any Advice??
> >
> > Doug,
> >
> > Add some RAM. I have the same iBook with 640MB installed an have none
> > of these issues. It came with 256MB which was not as bad as you
> > describe BUT it was slower than my G4/400 desktop that had 512MB. After
> > then RAM was added to the iBook it was much faster than the desktop.
> >
> > JeffW.

Wherever you go, there you are!