[iBook] ibook/airport reception issue

Rich Brauer rich_brauer at comcast.net
Thu Sep 30 11:53:49 PDT 2004

Sorry for intruding, I haven't been following the thread that closely,
but...

I will say I had what sounds exactly like the same problem with my
iceBook G4.

Finally, I took it to an Apple Store. The Genius popped off the
keyboard, took one look at the connection between the card and the
antenna, and announced that this was one of the most common problems he
saw with the AirPort. Thankfully, it was also one of the easiest to
fix. Apparently, when you insert the antenna into the card, you
*really* need to press hard to get it fully into the socket. I thought
the antenna was comfortably in its socket, but the Genius got it in
there. He popped the card back in, restarted, and I had full reception.

Dave, IIRC, you mentioned you had used the original AirPort card. I
have not; so I don't know if the antenna connection is different. I
would heartily recommend checking that out before going any further. If
you're in the Twin Cities, stop by the Mall of America, or one of the
others, and see if they can help you before trying to ship it back to
Apple itself, where you'll be left without the 'book for a while.

Cheers,
Rich