[iBook] iBook G4 external speakers?

Neil Hughes neil.hughes1 at tesco.net
Wed Aug 10 05:18:20 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 23:09:36 -0500, Michelle wrote:

>I wound up buying some of the JBL Creature II speakers online -
>reconditioned from Harmon for a decent bargain price. I like them so
>far but I can only adjust the actual volume from the computer
>itself... it does not want to adjust from the touch "buttons" on the
>front of the right speaker.

The buttons are capacitance types, I believe, so they can vary in
sensitivity. Sometimes I find that I have to keep my finger on the
buttons for a second or two before they react, other times I can tap
them really quickly. Depends on how grubby my hands are. I tend to have
the buttons set to "medium" volume and just use the computer to control
the volume from there.

>I do like them - I thought they would be louder though... I don't
>have a lot of need for LOUD, but when I want it LOUD, I want it
>LOUD!!!! :-)

Strange - I find mine to be loud enough at max volume to be unusable (I
live in a semi-detached house and would like to keep my neighbours), so
I wonder whether you're not getting to set the full volume range because
you haven't set the volume via the buttons high enough before fine
tuning with the computer? Or maybe the Creature IIs aren't as loud as
the first model (a bit like the later versions of the Walkman that had a
reduced headphone volume in order not to damage people's hearing if they
were stupid enough to listen for prolonged lengths of time at full blast)?

Neil