[iBook] MCE Combo drive upgrade for G3 iBooks?

Ben Chong bluesky6 at ix.netcom.com
Sat Aug 13 07:34:40 PDT 2005

Hi list,

This is my first post. I've been a collector of classic Macs for a
while but only just bit the bullet, got a couple of iBooks and am in
the process of transitioning from my wintel notebook to a 1.33GHz.

The first iBook I got was a 500MHz 2-usb on which I upgraded the hard
drive and tried to upgrade to a combo drive (made by MCE).

The first combo drive I got  did not work. There appeared to be a
conflict between the hard drive and the combo drive. Without the hard
drive, the combo drive could boot from a CD.

I returned the combo drive to Mac-Pro (a local retailer) and got
another one in exchange. The guy said that they have been
encountering problems with these drives and suggested that I contact
MCE before tearing apart the iBook again.

Unfortunately, MCE has been less than responsive.

I read somewhere that the combo drives have to be flashed to
operating in slave mode since they share the same cable with the hard
drive. The original CDROM in the iBook has a switch but the new
combos don't.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks.

Ben
PS : I will be writing up my wintel-to-Mac transition on my website
once I get my website files transferred across.