[iBook] MCE Combo drive upgrade for G3 iBooks?

Roger Harris roger at rogerdharris.com
Sat Aug 13 12:52:28 PDT 2005

The Combo drives I have seen in early White iBooks is a Toshiba SD-
R2212. Some people have been able to install the Toshiba SD-R2512 and
another Toshiba that I don't recall the model. These can be had on
ebay for as little as $50. When you can find them. They are often
pulls from HP or Toshiba laptops and the bezels have to be hacked to
fit an iBook. If you are replacing another 2212 the old bezel may work?

The dual USB iBooks are old enough now that many are dying and the
drives are on the market; But most only had CD-Rs.

I have a couple of the Dual USBs to install Combos on in the next
couple of weeks and can give you more infor on the bezels and such.

The flashing thing seems as much myth as anything that I can tell so
far. I have personally not read a real account of this.

roger
roger at rogerdharris,com