[iBook] Ibook G4 (1.25) and Tiger

Michael Max L.Ac michael at maxmedicine.net
Wed Aug 17 21:37:43 PDT 2005

Well, everyone I know seems to NOT be having a problem with Tiger. I wish I
could say the same.

I installed it about 1.5 weeks ago, then immediately upgraded to 10.4.2

I use Chinese, so installed those Asian fonts and Chinese language
components.

Then got rid of the extra fonts (like Japanese, Thai, Hebrew etc) that I
don't need. Things usually work OK for a day or two, then....wham!
In the Finder, the harddisk icon disappears and the menu bar begins to do a
slow blink. And I get the spinning beachball from hell. But, I can click on
dock items and open them up, and they work....kind of.

Also, when this weird behavior begins, where when I reboot, I first heard
this shoooosing sound come from the speakers before the startup bong tone.
After restarting, the Finder continues to be whacked out.

So then I reinstall everything.
I've done this several times now.

This time I've NOT taken out the extra Asian fonts (as the Fontbook warns me
they are "system" fonts. I figure if I am not using Japanese or Hebrew, I
can safely delete them. But, this time, I'm leaving ALL the fonts in. call
it a test.

So far so good, one day and no crashing. But.....I've already started to
heard that scary shooooosing sound, like I did after the crashes. No crashes
yet, just that noise.

I bought this bad boy back in April. And wondering if the RAM or perhaps the
HD might have some slight problem.

Figure I should call call Apple next or go to an Apple store and talk to one
of the Geniei there.

If anyone has any idea, I'd love to hear them.
Thanks
Michael