[iBook] 512mb iBook

Ben Chong bluesky6 at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 24 08:13:30 PDT 2005

An article on a Mac website (I think it's lowendmac.com) talked about
speed comparisons between a 256MB and a 512MB iBook to see if the
extra 256MB made a difference.

The conclusion was that there was no difference when the app(s) are
up and running but that starting an app was faster on the system with
more memory.

Tiger (that's the only OS X I'm familiar with) does a good job of
making apps appear responsive across different CPU speeds. My kids
use a 500MHz 578MB iBook and I have a 1.33MHz/1.5GB one and other
than application launch times, the responsiveness (including web
browsing) is almost the same.

I cannot say that same thing about OS 8.x running on a 180MHz 3400c
that we also have. So slooooow......

Ben