[iBook] Matshita Disappeared: Resolved!

Tony Gamble tgamble180 at rogers.com
Mon Dec 19 12:51:43 PST 2005

Hey, folks...
	Thought I'd let you all know that I've been able to self-help my
problem with the G4 iBook SuperDrive.  To recap: I had been watching
a DVD while performing other file handling tasks, when suddenly my
DVD player app froze.  After force-quitting and rebooting, I had
found, to my dismay, that the iBook could not eject the inserted
DVD.  Nor could it see the drive in Apple System Profiler, nor even
in Open Firmware!  I was sure the drive was toast, even though I
could hear it being mechanically active on every restart.  Many of
you pitched in with helpful hints, such as ejecting from the OF
command line, holding down the trackpad clicker at boot time, etc.
But since the iBook wasn't even aware there was a drive there, none
of these familiar options would work.
	Then today I had a brain storm.  Well, more of a small static
discharge, actually..... what if my user-installed RAM had gone
south?  Nothing else was crashing, and there were no telltale
anomalies indicating a problem with RAM, but still.....
	So I pulled out the 256Mb stick of RAM from the J7 DIMM slot,
rebooted with the trackpad clicker held down, and PRESTO!  Out pops
my DVD!  And the blessed Matshita shows up just fine in ASP!
	Does anybody know what the CAS latency is for the built-in RAM on
the G4 1.42Ghz iBooks?  The stick I'd had in there was CL2.5 and I
was wondering if that might have caused the issue.
	Thanks again, everyone, for your tips!  Hope my experience can help
out someone in the future.

Tony