[iBook] ibook or powerbook

John Lyon jelyon at mac.com
Fri Feb 4 10:48:33 PST 2005

I couldn't justify the price of the 15" PowerBook, when I actually used a
14" iBook at our local Apple store.

Yeah, I like the larger screen on my TiBook 550, but not the flaking paint.

In theory, I like the PC card slot on the The TiBook, but in reality, the
only thing I've ever used it for was a wireless card. Solved that by getting
an internal Airport card for my iBook. Already had an external DVD burner,
so I didn't require the internal burner.

I found hacks to allow the external burner to be used with iDVD, and found
hacks to allow display spanning (vs the default mirroring.)

I'd like to have a higher screen resolution on the iBook, but 1024 X 786 is
sufficient.

Being able to upgrade the iBook to 1.2GB RAM will be sufficient.

My iBook seems a little more sturdy than my PowerBook. Plus it's white and
it's cool - in both senses of the word.

When I have money again, I'll get a 15" PowerBook. But for now, the iBook is
more than sufficient for my needs.

Finally, I don't know that either the PowerBook or iBook is as comfortable
to type on as my G3 Wallstreet. I like the feel of the Wallstreet's more
organic shape.

JEL