[iBook] ibook or powerbook

Clark Martin cmmac at sonic.net
Fri Feb 4 09:07:43 PST 2005

At 7:45 AM -0700 2/4/05, Hector Luna wrote:
>As a new owner of an iBook and recent owner of a Ti550 I thought I'd
>weigh in on this issue.
>
>I just bought a 14.1" 1.3 G4 combo drive iBook to replace my 15.2" 550
>G4 combo drive Ti PowerBook. There are things I could do w/ the 550
>that I can't with the iBook, like dual monitor support. When doing
>video editing, or application development, it was a godsend. I would
>connect a flat panel to the VGA port on the back and get an instant
>second desktop.

I just used Screen Spanning Doctor on my iBook and it enabled dual
screen, non mirrored video.  It's built in but there is an Open
Firmware parameter that disables it. SSD enables it.  Mirroring is
still available as an option in the Displays Menu or Displays
Preference Pane.  After running SSD I tried it out by watching a DVD
on the TV and reading my e-mail on the LCD.  It worked great.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA