[iBook] ibook or powerbook

Hector Luna polonius19 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 06:45:16 PST 2005

As a new owner of an iBook and recent owner of a Ti550 I thought I'd
weigh in on this issue.

I just bought a 14.1" 1.3 G4 combo drive iBook to replace my 15.2" 550
G4 combo drive Ti PowerBook. There are things I could do w/ the 550
that I can't with the iBook, like dual monitor support. When doing
video editing, or application development, it was a godsend. I would
connect a flat panel to the VGA port on the back and get an instant
second desktop.

I also had more real estate on the screen. My Ti had 1152 x 768, this
one is confined to 1024 x 768.

My decision to get the iBook was essentially an interim one. I'm
holding out for a dual core G5 PowerBook. When I get one, provided of
course that Apple actually gets around to selling them, my wife will
get this one and we'll sell her 12" 700 G3 iBook.

There are features that I didn't get by buying this iBook that would
have meant something to me. More video memory, more screen real
estate, greater ram capacity, dual monitor support and a backlit
keyboard (if I had that I could ditch my FlyLight). But considering
that this would eventually go to my wife, and she could care less
about the features I just mentioned and the considerable difference in
price, the decision to buy the iBook was an obvious one.

Don't get me wrong, I think this iBook is a tremendous machine.
Besides, there were definate cons to owning a Ti PowerBook, scratches
and dents being the top two on my list. It seemed that you couldn't
look at the thing sideways with out scratching the paint. I always had
to take off my watch to prevent scratching the wrist pad even more,
and once you got a dent on it, it was there to stay. I don't know how
the Al PowerBooks stack up in this regard.

Just my two cents...

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 05:46:33 -0600, Tom Legare <Tom.Legare at comcast.net> wrote:
> > I would like to ask if anyone knows of a small light weight printer
> that one could take
> > with to a meeting or class that is compatible with the iBook?
>
> Check out the HP 450cbi.  It comes with a battery (if you buy the right
> package) and runs off the battery or AC adaptor.  The quality of the
> output is fantastic in both black and color and it works fine with OS X
> using USB or Windows using USB or parallel (cables are included).  The
> only problem I've had with mine is that sometimes the paper feeding gets
> jammed, especially if I fill the paper holder to capacity.
>
> It does NOT have an optional scanner attachment like some other portable
> printers.
>
> However, the battery is top quality.  I've printed solidly for over half
> and hour with no problems.  For only occassional printing, the battery
> lasts me months.
>
> Tom

Polonius19
Chief Malcontent & Misanthrope