[iBook] ibook or powerbook

Clark Martin cmmac at sonic.net
Fri Feb 4 12:04:21 PST 2005

At 12:48 PM -0600 2/4/05, John Lyon wrote:
>I couldn't justify the price of the 15" PowerBook, when I actually used a
>14" iBook at our local Apple store.

Yeah, I preferred the top of the line iBook over the bottom end
PowerBook for the same price

>Yeah, I like the larger screen on my TiBook 550, but not the flaking paint.

I would like a little more resolution on my iBook but this is workable.

>In theory, I like the PC card slot on the The TiBook, but in reality, the
>only thing I've ever used it for was a wireless card. Solved that by getting
>an internal Airport card for my iBook. Already had an external DVD burner,
>so I didn't require the internal burner.

Give them time and they may come up with something useful to put in a
PCCard slot but I suspect most things will be duplicated in USB or
FW.  All the stuff I've put in PCCard slots is built in to my iBook.

>I found hacks to allow the external burner to be used with iDVD, and found
>hacks to allow display spanning (vs the default mirroring.)

I just did the display hack and can see where it will be useful
sometimes.  I bought the iBook with SuperDrive and it has come in
handy a couple of times already where I needed to burn a disk where
and when I wouldn't have brought along an external.  I carry a couple
of blank CD-Rs and DVD-Rs with me, just in case.

>I'd like to have a higher screen resolution on the iBook, but 1024 X 786 is
>sufficient.
>
>Being able to upgrade the iBook to 1.2GB RAM will be sufficient.

I originally thought to add 512Mb and later I'd bump it to a 1Mb
card.  The price/Mb was about equal so I figured that spending about
$200 now and getting the max memory now was better than spending $300
over time and not getting the benefit of the max memory till later.

>My iBook seems a little more sturdy than my PowerBook. Plus it's white and
>it's cool - in both senses of the word.
>
>When I have money again, I'll get a 15" PowerBook. But for now, the iBook is
>more than sufficient for my needs.
>
>Finally, I don't know that either the PowerBook or iBook is as comfortable
>to type on as my G3 Wallstreet. I like the feel of the Wallstreet's more
>organic shape.

I prefer the ibook to the Wallstreet.  It's lighter and just
generally easier to deal with.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA