[iBook] iBook runs VERY hot

Scott Warren sw at shelton.org
Thu Feb 17 06:16:33 PST 2005

I have had a few laptops get "smoking hot" were 1 actually produced
smoke.  Turned out to be a short in the battery charger inside the
laptop.  Only seemed to happen every 3 times I powered it up until I
could not power it up any more.  Where do you feel the heat?  Back
right is where the charger stuff is and if that gets hot, take it in
immediately.  Front left is the hard drive and I have noticed on a
number of iBooks where that gets "very warm" (can put your hand on it
with out it hurting) and had 1 or 2 where its "hot".  Heat there could
result in hard drive failure or the repair people swapping our your
hard drive so back up your stuff.

Heat is bad for computers....