[iBook] Two Desktop Icons in File Chooser Sidebar?

Gregory Martinez gregmartinez at mac.com
Sun Jan 9 22:33:06 PST 2005

On my iBook, when I use contextual menu to change the application that
opens a particular file and choose Other, the File Chooser window opens
with a sidebar, like in the Finder window. I have two, not one, but two
Desktop icons listed. I have tried everything to return it to one. If I
use the Finder Preferences and unselect the Desktop icon to make it not
appear in SideBar, it goes back to one. If I select it to appear, I get
two.

Note however, that this strangeness does not happen in the regular
Finder Sidebar, only when using the contextual menu to select
alternative opening applications or to otherwise choose an application.
With the regular Finder Sidebar the Finder Preferences completely
controls what appears or doesn't appear.

I think there is more going on here than just me on that one compouter.
While I do not get two Desktop icons in the sidebar at all on the iMac,
if I use the Finder Preferences to NOT show the Desktop folder, it does
not appear in the regular Finder Sidebar. HOWEVER, if I go to change
the default application to open a file the Finder type window appears
with the Desktop folder in the sidebar.

Something is going on here with regard to the Sidebar & Desktop folder
in the file choosing finder window. Like I said, this is not evident in
the more frequently used regular Finder window, ONLY the file choosing
Finder window.

Anyone else notice this? Go to your Finder Preferences and unselect the
Desktop folder icon, then go to change the default application to open
any file. Is the Desktop icon still there? I am betting it is.

Note that both comps are still running OS 10.3.6. However, I am now
updating the ibook to 10.3.7 and I will see if this anomaly continues.

BTW, I did the standard trouble-shooting stuff. I fixed permissions,
used Cocktail to delete caches and delete DS files. Zapped the PRAM.

Greg Martinez
gregmartinez at mac.com
iMac 17" G4, 1GHz, OS 10.3.6, 768 MB RAM.
iBook 12" G4, 800MHz, OS 10.3.6, 640 MB RAM.